meaning - What is the difference between 'tell' and 'say'





“Nothing to tell” versus “nothing to say”



Both words seem to be used interchangeably. I generally don't differentiate between them and intuitively pick one over the other. Is there a standardized way to distinguish between the two?



Answer



The verb tell is transitive, and takes a direct object. The verb said does not. You should use tell when you're emphasizing the fact that you're communicating something to somebody:



Let me tell you how to get to San Jose.
*Let me say to you how to get to San Jose.
Let me tell you a story.
*Let me say a story to you.



You should use say when there is no communication involved:



Say "rubber baby buggy bumpers" ten times fast.
*Tell me "rubber baby buggy bumpers" ten times fast.



Most of the time, both verbs can be used:



Tell me you didn't mean that.
Say you didn't mean that.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"