meaning - "What can I be of help"


In a forum of a website, I read the following sentences (the writer is referring to a session in a conference):



Makes lots of sense. Not sure what can I be of help (and I already have two sessions on the official schedule), but would be happy to be of help.



Is it correct to say what can I be of help?
Is it commonly used? Is it used in restricted groups?



Answer



The sentences contains some quirks, and a lot of references are omitted.


Sense is not quantifiable, so the variation a lot of sense feels more natural and is more commonly used than lots of sense.


The expression isn't what can I be of help but rather what I can do to help or how I can be of help.


I fleshed out the sentences so that they read like written language:



That makes a lot of sense. I'm not sure what I can do to be of help (and I already have two sessions on the official schedule), but I would be happy to be of help.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"