grammar - Why does “something catch my eye” but not “both my eyes”?


I am not a native English speaker, I usually hear “something caught my eye” but never “something caught (both) my eyes”. This seems pretty strange to me.


Cambridge Dictionaries Online provide these examples but without any explanation



catch sb's eye
(i) to get someone's ​attention:
A ​sudden ​movement ​caught my ​eye.


(ii) to get someone's ​attention, ​especially by ​looking at them:
I ​tried to catch the waiter's ​eye, so we could ​order.


(iii) to be ​attractive or different enough to be ​noticed by someone:
It was the ​unusual ​colour of his ​jacket that ​caught my ​eye.



Why is only one eye ‘caught”? Doesn't something catch our sight? We normally see with both eyes, not with one.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"