What is adjective form of "initiative"?


Merriam-Webster says "initiative" can be also an adjective, however, it is adjectival from "to initiate", meaning "introductory" or "preliminary". What is then the correct adjective of "initiative" as in "this guys shows great initiative"? This guy is...?


Edit: I am afraid I did not phrase my question clearly: I am not interested in the meanings derived from "to initiate", actually I was quite surprised to find out this other meaning of the word. My question relates to -- what I believe is today's prime meaning of the word -- initiative as a positive quality in people who come up with their own solutions, need not to be told exactly what to do, etc. These people are ...?



Answer



Somewhat to my chagrin, I think I'd go with proactive.


The adjective usage of initiative that you're finding documented would have to be spoken as "inish-ee-aytiv" (as opposed to the noun "inish-uh-tiv") in order to be understood, it would sound distractingly odd, and your chances of getting your meaning across still aren't too hot. In written communication it would be a total loss.


In some circumstances you could go with a fairly close mapping to initiatory, but that would not typically be understood properly either.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"