prepositions - Why is this usage of "to" incorrect?


I am in communication with a friend who is learning English.


I noticed her using "to" in the wrong context, but I'm unable to explain which rule she is breaking.



I can't access to Gmail.




Answer



"Access" can be either a transitive verb or a noun depending on context, and "to" can be either a preposition or a particle indicating an infinitive, and your friend is mixing up the uses.


"Access" as noun:



I need access.


I cannot get access.



"Access" as verb:



I cannot access Gmail.



"To" as preposition:



I need access to Gmail.


I cannot get access to Gmail.



"To" indicating an infinitive:



I need to access Gmail to send this report.


I need Gmail access to send this report.


I need to access Gmail for sending this report.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"