A word for the beginning of a street?


Is there a word for the beginning of a street? What word would be used to describe where a street begins? I have a friend who says that in Persian, it's described as the "head" of the street, but I can't think of how it would be described in English. Does anyone know?



Answer



The "end of the street (or block)" works regardless of which end - but to determine which end requires context.


For example, if I am going to meet my friend at one end or the other of Lowe Ave., which end would be determined by where we are going. If we were going to walk to the bar, my friend would know to meet me at the north "end of the street". If we were going to the deli, she would know to meet me at the south "end of the street".


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"