word choice - Is "autodidact" too obscure to use in a résumé?


I'm updating my résumé and I'm trying to describe myself as "someone who learns on his own", though more briefly. I think the word "autodidact" fits but an informal survey around the workplace showed that many people don't know what the word means. I'm concerned that using the word will leave those reading my résumé scratching their heads, or worse, make me appear pretentious.


Does "autodidact" fall into the category of "five dollar words" and should I just replace it with a brief phrase?



Answer



I think it probably is too obscure. Put "self-learner", "self-starter", "self-taught in (some skills you want it to apply to)".


The only place where I'd expect to see such a word in a resume would be applying to an academic position where use of such words is common.


I think in general it's a bad idea to confuse the people who might be reading your resume as it could cause them to pass it over.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"