word order - "I’ve been also" or "I've also been"?


Where should the word "also" appear in the sentence:



I've been in Paris.



Google result count:



  • "i've been also" 2,090,000

  • "i've also been" 76,000,000


It seems like the second is more common, but why is that so?



Answer



In:



I've also been in Paris.



have is an auxiliary verb and also is an adverb. been is the main verb of the sentence. In general, we put the adverb before the 'main' verb, the verb it is describing, and here "also" is modifying "been". In the same way that we don't put adjectives after nouns, we don't put adverbs after verbs.



I've been also in Paris.



This sounds extremely awkward. In English we never put the adverb between the verb and the object.


In general there are three rules for placing adverbs in a sentence:



  • At the end of the sentence



I go to Paris often




  • At the beginning of the sentence



Often, I go to Paris.




  • In the middle, between the subject and the verb, or the auxiliary verb and the main verb.



I often go to Paris.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"