adverbs - What part of speech does “here” have in “I am here”?


What part of speech does here have in the following sentence?



I am here.



I say that in that sentence, here must be an adverb because:



  • It modifies the verb am by describing where I am.

  • Am is a “being” verb in this instance, not a “linking” verb.


My friend contends that here is a noun because the word here is, in this instance, defined as this place, which in Merriam-Webster is the definition for the noun here.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"