grammaticality - Correct position of "only"


Which is grammatically correct?



I can only do so much in this time.



or



I can do only so much in this time.




Answer



In the given example there's not much difference. But there can be a great deal of difference in other constructions involving the same idea. Consider:



I only eat fish when I'm sick.


I eat fish only when I'm sick.


I eat only fish when I'm sick.



I submit that the first sentence is a bit ambiguous, and could be clarified in the direction of the second or third. Two and three mean entirely different things.


NOTE: In spoken English it is relatively easy to make the first sentence unambiguous by use of a vocal stress on the part you wish to indicate belongs with only.



I only eat fish when I'm sick. (I eat only fish when I'm sick.)
I only eat fish when I'm sick. (I eat fish only when I'm sick.)
I only eat fish when I'm sick. (I eat fish only when I'm sick.)



Certainly you can do the same thing in writing or typing via underlining or italicization, but sentence structure is perhaps a simpler way to draw the distinction, requiring no additional adjustments.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"