Word for a sudden phrase completing/changing a memory


Every so often I'll hear a phrase that forms part of a song or phrase that I know. Suddenly I can hear the song playing in my head or my mind finishes off the phrase. What is the correct phrase/word for this sort of unconscious surfacing of memories that then intermingle with what I'm currently hearing?


For instance I might hear someone say: Treacle Pudding


The words are unrelated, but the intonation reminds me of the Goldfinger theme tune, so my head tries to finish of the song with the words Tracle Pudding in place of Goldfinger


Another example is I'll hear the words, with the wrong intonation, but my brain still picks up the phrase of song lyrics and it plays out in my head.


This has nothing to do with smells, sight or any other input.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"