meaning - 'Not feeling clever' - how far does this extend?


The other day, when my wife was unwell, I happened to mention to a relative in Norfolk that she wasn't 'feeling too clever'. He instantly knew what I meant.


But it made me wonder how far this idiom extends. I'm sure I have heard it used in other parts of Britain, but is it universal throughout the Anglosphere?



Answer



It's certainly still used here near Manchester (but less than was once the case).


Oxford Dictionaries give the sense, labelling it as an informal British usage:



clever 2 [PREDICATIVE, WITH NEGATIVE] British informal


Healthy or well:


I was up and about by this time though still not too clever.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"