Is it correct to use the word "birthday" for the deceased, or is there a better alternative?


How does one refer to the birthdate of someone who is no more, we usually say


Today is my uncle's 80th birth anniversary (Common in Indian English, not sure if it's correct)


or


Today would have been my uncle's 80th birthday


Is it right to say


"Today is my uncle's 80th birthday" for an uncle who is dead?



Answer



I would say "Today would have been ...", especially since you are talking about a specific number (80). Because as a living person he didn't turn 80, so he never had that birthday.


But if you leave out the number I think you could say "Today is my uncle's birthday".


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"