single word requests - What's the term for the inner perimeter of something?


Say I have a building with a sidewalk on its outside. To walk it I might say something like:



"I'm going to walk the perimeter of the building."



Now say I want to walk around the perimeter of the building again, but this time I'll be inside the building. How would I express the notion of "inner perimeter" succinctly? Is there a single word to describe it?



Answer



Since you are inside a room, the normal word to describe this would be simply "perimeter":



I'm going to walk around the perimeter of the room.



Or, for another common form:



I'm going to walk the perimeter of the room.



However, using the term perimeter with building always means the outside perimeter, so to refer to the inner perimeter, one must either say "inner perimeter", or use the word "room".


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"