word choice - About the use of future tense


Which is better:



  1. "I am not having lunch tomorrow unless I am really hungry."

  2. "I am not having lunch tomorrow unless I will be really hungry."

  3. Something else



Answer




I am not having lunch tomorrow, unless I'm really hungry.



Is the correct answer. Present tense in the second sentence, because it's obvious you are not talking about the present, because you already know whether you are hungry now or not.


Also, try swapping them and you'll see it right away:



Unless I'm really hungry, I am not having lunch tomorrow.



With the similar:



If I'm not really hungry, I am not having lunch tomorrow.



You would never say either of those:



Unless I will be really hungry, I am not having a lunch tomorrow.
If I won't be really hungry, I am not having lunch tomorrow.



Another examples to prove that present tense really expresses future condition:



If I don't get the money, I'll be really angry.
If you fail the school exam, I won't give you your allowance!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"