verbs - emphasizing someone has definitely done something like "I did go there"



I suspect I might be wrong saying "We did were there", "I did was there".


I presume there must be infinitive form of a verb after the verb "do" of a certain tense, i.e. "We did be there", "I did be there".


Is it a common rule for this case or are there any exceptions?


Also, could you point me out to the grammar where I can find some info about this?



Answer



The verb "to be" is unique in that it doesn't need "do" to do anything in simple tenses! Not to negate, not to form a question...it's a free agent!


To emphasize just use intonation/pitch: But Honey, we WERE there!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"