word choice - "There were only 4" versus "There was only 4"?


I used the sentence "there was only 4 channels on tele" (reminiscing about the good old days before digital TV!), but I wasn't sure if I was right, so tried were instead of was.


It still doesn't feel right, even though I found an article that stated that, as the subject was plural and came after the verb, it should be were- but it still doesn't feel right! I've got it in my head that if I had just said channels it would be were, but as I said "only 4 channels" it should be was.


Should I use were or was?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"