meaning - What is meant by "don't piss on my boots and tell me it's raining"?


I have heard a couple of times recently the phrase "don't piss on my boots and tell me it's raining", usually in the context of a heated argument so I've hesitated to ask speaker what exactly he meant by it. Can anyone here help?



Answer



It suggests that the person you're upset with is harming you, making an unbelievably brazen claim that they are not, and that you have seen through their meagre attempt at deception.


There are a few variant forms. There's pee versus piss for varying the level of crudity, and even spit to avoid the subject of urine entirely. The thing being urinated (or spat) on can be a boot, shoe, leg, back, face, etc. Some examples:



Gal, you can't spit in my face and call it rain. [spoken to one who is trying to deceive.]
Boy, you can't piss on me and tell me it's raining.



(from Honey, hush! An Anthology of African-American Women's Humor by Daryl Cumber Dance, 1998, p88)



Senator: The war's over. Our side won the war. Now we must busy ourselves winning the peace. And Fletcher, there's an old saying: To the victors belong the spoils.
Fletcher: There's another old saying, Senator: Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.



(from the film The Outlaw Josey Wales, 1976)



Listen, you son of a bitch, you think you can get this straightened out? Well, King Kong can't straighten it out for you. Are you trying to spit in my face and tell me it's raining outside?



(from Alias Big Cherry by Robert H. Adleman, 1973)



Booker T: Tell me anything, boy. Pee on my back and tell me it's raining.



(from the play Five on the Black Hand Side by Charlie L. Russell, 1969)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"