Usage of the word "where"



I am not a native speaker. So please excuse my "silly" question.


I have learned in my school that one can only use the word "where" in contexts describing locations, positions [or directions]. But I have come across two sentences used by a native speaker and I wonder if they are correct.



1) It can fill in details where experimental methods cannot.


2) Computer simulations are accurate on predicting molecular motions but work poorly where quantum effects are important.



Can someone explain to me why he can use the word "where"? Many thanks!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"