punctuation - How are "yes" and "no" formatted in sentences?


If I am expecting an answer from a question and wish to state my prediction, do I need to use quotes around a simple "yes" or "no"?



I think the answer is no. / I think the answer is "no."


That would be a yes. / That would be a "yes."



Potential end cases:



Why would he say, "No"?


The votes are in; three yeses and four nos.


The options are yes or no; not "maybe."




Answer



Unless there's a style guide telling you otherwise, I'd suggest basing your decision on whether you mean the literal words 'yes' and 'no', or the general nature of the response. Consider:



Why would he say, "No"? (For that is the word that he said.)



vs



Why would he say no? (What he actually said was "Over my dead body", but let's not worry about that detail.)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"