word choice - Can I end this sentence with "also" or "too"? Which one is right?


Please see the sentences:



I scheduled to stay after school with you today, but yesterday I was assigned a detention for today too.




I scheduled to stay after school with you today, but yesterday I was assigned a detention for today also.



The sentence ending in also sounds better to me, but I am not a native speaker, and I don't know it it's correct to use also at the end of a sentence.


Which one is the correct form?



Answer



'Too', 'also' and 'as well' are quite often interchangeable. In this instance, they are, and can all be used at the end of your sentence.


However, if you have a preference not to end your sentences with 'also', try this:



I scheduled to stay after school with you today, but yesterday I was also assigned a detention for today.



However, I do think the sentence as a whole sounds a little awkward. From what I gather of the meaning, I would reword it to something like this:



I would've spent detention with you after school today but, yesterday, I was also given a detention.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"