A single added word that changes the meaning of a question



At work today, I took an FSA test that asked the question: "You can only give advice to a customer if they ask for it" True OR False?


Now, considering our organisation cannot offer advice under ANY circumstances, I could not see a correct answer to this. It turned into a big debate between me and the rest of my group. My argument was that for there to be a correct answer (False), the word "only" needs to be removed as it becomes the main focus of the question otherwise.


If it is True, it means we can only offer advice to those who ask for it. If it is False it means we can offer advice whether they ask for it or not.


I got very stressed as my entire group was trying to explain to me why I was wrong, when I was certain I was right. At the very least I was insisting that the question is unclear and needs changing. Please, am I right or wrong?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"