Use of then as a dependent conjunction



First of all, I understand that then cannot be used as a conjunction with simply a comma (lacking a semicolon or start of new sentence) to connect two independent clauses and that a semicolon or a FANBOYS conjunction must be used with it for that to work. However, my question is: what if it's connecting a dependent clause? To be more specific, one that has to deal with sequence. I will list a few examples below:


I went to the store then home.


I'm going to cook the steak on the stove, then finish it off on the skillet.


Bob opened the door, then shut it right back.


Tracy and Jill came out first, then Brittany.


We ate all of our food, then grabbed some dessert.


Dictionary.com and a few other places state that it can be used in instances like some of those. However, I don't know if I trust that or not. I tend to follow rules in between traditional and modern, but in some cases, I think that they should always be followed. Therefore, I need know, in the strictest of terms, what the rules are regarding then.


I have seen the link of "Than vs then", and while it does provide some points, it does not fully explain the use of then with a dependent clause. The Op in that thread uses two independent clause, which is what I already stated was not allowed.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"