slang - The meaning of nailed in the conversation


In the following conversation from the Gilmore Girls episode "The Breakup, Part 2," what is the meaning of nailed:



Summer: Tristan, stop.


Tristan: You are making me chase around the party.


Summer: Just trying to have fun.


Tristan: You won't talk or dance with me. Why the hell did you come with me to the party?


Summer: Stop yelling.


Tristan: Summer, please, can we just go?


Summer: No, I am sick of fighting with you.


...


Summer: I think we should break up.


Tristan: I want to go outside and talk about this..


Summer: Then go. Bye.


...


Tristan (to Rory): You just loved it, don't you?


Rory: loved what?


Tristan: Seeing me nailed like that.



I did the research. Here is what I found:


pin someone down (on something) and nail someone down (on something)
Fig. to demand and receive a firm answer from someone to some question. (Alludes to shifting from answer to answer; commit to one answer or another.)



  • I tried to pin him down on a time and place, but he was very evasive.

  • Don't try to pin down the mayor on anything!

  • I want to nail her down on a meeting time.


Punching them in the face.



  • "Man I really nailed that guy in the face."


Or having sex with them



  • "I'm telling you dude, I totally nailed that chick last night"


Or if you catch someone in a crime or want to



  • "I'm gonna nail that bastard who shot my partner"


Or accidentally hitting someone with a nail gun



  • "Oh man I'm sorry dude I didn't mean to nail your face to the dog"


So it would be like "punished" when doing something wrong. Right? The last one seems to be closer in meaning. But I am not sure.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"