grammatical number - Plural or singular noun when it refers to two things in a list


I wonder which of the two is correct:




  1. I have a red and a blue car.

  2. I have a red and a blue cars.



or




  1. Everyone has a left and a right arms.

  2. Everyone has a left and a right arm.



My (non-native) inclination would be for option 1, as it sounds better. On the other hand, in the following examples, the plural sounds better to me.



  • Everyone has left and right arms.

  • I have old and new cars. (when I only have only one old car and one new car)

  • The left and the right arms are...


But are they correct?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"