meaning - what is the difference between everywhere and anywhere


I checked the difference between anywhere and everywhere in the Longman dictionary. I have understood that when the place is not important we have to use anywhere for example:



You can find a man anywhere but not a businessman everywhere.



But I do not know how to use this general rule in all times. For example, what is the appropriate word for the gap:



I lost my glasses. I looked ________, but I couldn't find them.



Is it true that generally the usage of anywhere is in negative and question sentences?



Answer



You lose a pair of glasses. You start off by saying:



  • "My glasses could be anywhere." = I don't know where my glasses are. They could be here, there, up, down. In that room, or in another room. I don't know. The glasses are in one of those many different places.


after a few minutes of searching you might say:




  • "I've looked everywhere for my glasses." = I've looked here, there, up, down, in one room, in another but with no luck. Conclusion: I still don't have my glasses.




  • "I know my glasses must be somewhere" = They are not here, there, up, nor down, in one room or in another. But they can't have disappeared. I had those glasses just a minute ago. Where are they?




I ask my wife where my glasses are. She always knows where things are.



  • "Do you know where my glasses are? I can't find them anywhere." = I've looked everywhere but I didn't find them in any of the places I looked.


My wife replies patiently



  • "Yes I do, as a matter of fact, they're on your head."


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"