politeness - Is it okay to use the word "Negro" in a historical context?



In a few days, I have to do a class presentation project about the 1920s Harlem Renaissance.


I want to say that the movement's original name was the "New Negro Movement," but I'm not sure if that's okay. I'm white, and I really don't want to offend anybody in my class.


Is it all right to say this word in context? Or, should I ignore its original name, and only refer to it as the Harlem Renaissance?



Answer




Is it okay to use the word “Negro” in a historical context?



Yes, absolutely. If that was term used, even in a pejorative sense, in the context of serious research you can always include things that are true and relevant.



I'm white, and I really don't want to offend anybody in my class.



That is impossible to answer even if the members of this forum were in your class. It is entirely possibly you could offend somebody. Whether or not your report or talk will offend someone should be the least of your concerns if what you are writing or saying is well researched and based on reliable facts. Academic study, even of sensitive social issues, isn't restricted to nationality, gender, religion, or ethnicity.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"