american english - What does this mean: "Avoid oral calcium, dairy products, shark cartilage & exercise during the medication."


I found this behind a medicine. At first thought, the sentence looks like it suggests avoiding exercise during the medication. However, I remember reading somewhere that in US English, when there is a list of items, the last item is NOT preceded by "and" unlike in British English. E.g.:




  • American English: "item1, item2, item3 are the items in this list."

  • British English : "item1, item2 and item3 are the items in this list."



This being an American medicine, should I infer that I should avoid oral calcium, dairy products and shark cartilage, and do exercise during the medication?


I know it sounds trivial, but something like this on a medicine, I better get the facts right.


And for the record: The medicine is not for me. I was asked this question and was wondering myself.


Edit: The original text was "Avoid oral calcium, dairy products, shark cartilage & exercise during the cleanse". I had to change "during the cleanse" to "during the medication" to give the question's title sufficient context.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"