grammar - "Has" or "Have" after "Who" in a sentence?


I'm confused about using "has" or "have" after "who". For example:



  1. I am a doctor who have confusion in using has or Have.

  2. I am a engineer who has 4 year experience, degree in engineering and is available.


Will it vary depending on I or Who?



Answer




I am a doctor who has a treadmill.


We are doctors who have an X-ray machine.


I am a professor who has a tweed jacket.


We are professors who have published three papers.



The verb after who should match the object before who. (In the sentence structure you use, the subject [I/We] is independent of the object [professor/professors]):



I know a professor who has grey hair.


We know a professor who has mismatched socks.


I know two plumbers who have leaky sinks.


We saw three mathematicians who have proctectors in their pockets.



To quickly double-check your verb choice, simply remove the subject, predicate, and the who, and make sure it reads correctly:



"We know a doctor who have a new car," becomes "A doctor have a new car." (WRONG)


"We know the nurse who has a new sofa," becomes "The nurse has a new sofa." (RIGHT)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"