questions - "Why can't I see?" or "Why I can't see?"?


Which of the following is correct?



Why can't I see?
Why I can't see?



I am a bit confused, since both have inversion, negation and a "why" in the beginning.



Answer



The answer is, they're both correct. Just used in different situations.


"Why can't I see?" is a question, asking for the reason the "asker" is not perceiving something.


"Why I can't see" is a statement, not a question. In this case, the person who makes this statement is about to provide a reason for not perceiving something.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"