punctuation - Should I use a question mark when the second independent clause of my sentence is not a question?


Is it appropriate to use a question mark at the end of a compound sentence where the first independent clause is a question but the second is a statement? For example:



Do you want attribution for that quotation, because I'm definitely sharing it and want to know if I should give you credit?



or



Do you want attribution for that quotation, because I'm definitely sharing it and want to know if I should give you credit.



I suppose this could work, but it's a little niche, as the second clause might not always be appropriate for a parenthetical.



Do you want attribution for that quotation (because I'm definitely sharing it and want to know if I should give you credit)?




Answer



Because the second statement doesn't ask a question, I would consider writing it as a separate sentence:



Do you want attribution for that quotation? Because I'm definitely sharing it, and I want to know if I should give you credit.



It's clearer that way.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"