grammar - Explanation of Grammatical structure is needed



The crowd saw him clap his hand to his mouth.




This is a sentence from Harry Potter I. I don't understand how "clap" is used right after "saw". Shouldn't there be a "to" in between? i.e. "saw him to clap" seems appropriate.



Answer



There are two verb constructions of the type verb + object + infinitive.


The normal construction is verb + object + to-infinitive as in



  • I want you to help me.


A small group of verbs use only bare infinitive:


1 All verbs of perception as eg to see, hear, feel etc.



  • I heard the girls laugh ("laughing" is also possible).


2 Verbs of cause and allowance:




  • to make s (someone) do sth, to have s do sth, older: to bid s do sth - to let s do sth




  • You make me laugh. Let the children come to me.




I searched the Internet for information about these two verb constructions. What I found is miserable.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"