punctuation - How to deal with abbreviations like 'etc.' at the end of parentheses which are closing a sentence?


In Hungarian, when there's a dot both inside and outside parentheses at the end of a sentence, we write it as follows:



Sok állatom van (kutya, macska stb.).



(Meaning: I've got many animals [dogs, cats, etc.])


I'm not sure though how do we write it in English.



  1. I've got many animals (dogs, cats, etc.).

  2. I've got many animals. (dogs, cats, etc.)

  3. I've got many animals (dogs, cats, etc.)

  4. I've got many animals (dogs, cats, etc).



Answer



The dot in etc. is the dot for the abbreviation; the solutions are:



  • If the abbreviation is outside of parentheses, you use only one dot, because it serves for both the abbreviation and the sentence-period:



I've got many animals, such as dogs, cats, etc.




I've got many animals: dogs, cats, etc.




  • If it's inside the parentheses, like in this case, then you should use two dots, since one is for the abbreviation, the other is for the sentence:



I've got many animals (dogs, cats, etc.).



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"