greetings - What is the correct way to greet a specific person when only their business title is known?


I need to write a letter to a specific person, who I only know by title. I do not know their name or gender.


I can think of a couple ways to greet this individual in a letter, however I can not decide which greeting is most preferable.


Should I start my letter with:



Dear Sir or Madam,



...or



Dear Manager of Standards,



...or some other greeting.



Answer



I would put the title as the first line of the address.


But if I don't know their name I would always start a letter with the standard Dear Sir or Madam. (If you know their name, use Dear Mr. Smith.)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"