phrase usage - despite / in spite of?



I could not sleep ____ very tired .


Here, I tried:



  1. I could not sleep despite I was very tired .

  2. I could not sleep in spite of very tired


Which one is correct?



Answer



There is a thread on this on the English Language Learners site, here.


Also, neither of these works in your sentence. You need to say "in spite of the fact that I was very tried" or "despite the fact that I was very tired".


You could also say "I could not sleep although I was very tired".


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"