grammaticality - "Wanting" or "want"?


Lately I have noticed that a lot of people use "wanting" in sentences, or in books, but I don't get it because my English teachers have always said to me that with verbs like "love", "like", "want" etc. we can't write the verb ending "-ing". But how it is possible that it's in book then?


Some examples:





  • She reached her hand out, wanting to touch him...






  • Not wanting to talk about it, Clary turned...






  • Actually, I’ve been wanting to ask you how...





I really want to know where I can use it and where I can't. It really drives me crazy that I don't know it.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"