grammar - Relative Clause Extraction from Subordinate Clause - Compare and Contrast These Sentences


Please emend the title; I'm tentative whether it summarises this question precisely.





  1. I went into the store, which if I had seen from the road, I should have known to be a company.




  2. I went into the store, which, if I had seen it from the road, I should have known to be a company.




  3. I went into the store, which if I had seen from the road, I should have known it to be a company.




  4. I went into the store, if I had seen which from the road, I should have known it to be a company.





1 seems the most natural to me. Would someone please compare and contrast the other 4? Are they grammatically correct? If so, how are they?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"