word choice - What should I use between "triple" vs. "all"?


If I have 2 pens and I want to say all of them are green, I can say "Both of them are green" but if I have 3 pens should I use "Triple of them are green" or "All of them are green"?



Answer



You could go with any of the following:


All 3 of my pens are green,


All (of) my 3 pens are green,


My 3 pens are all green,


The word triple as an adjective means:



  1. Three times bigger in size or amount


  2. Having three parts or including three people or things, for example:


    a triple murder


    a triple heart bypass




When used as a verb, it means:



  1. To cause (something) to become three times as great or as many

  2. To become three times as great or as many


In mathematics:


to triple the number 4 is equivalent to multiplying 4 by 3,


written numerically as: (4 + 4 + 4) or (4 x 3) = 12


Source: M-W


Hope that helps.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"