cultural phrases - Why isn't the yard used as a base unit for measuring heights?


I don't know if this is the right forum for this question, but, do what I would, I could not find a better one.


During my visit to London I stumbled upon something I couldn't quite grasp:


Why, even though the yard an acceptable unit of distance, height is invariably measured in feet?


For example: The Shard is 309 meters tall, which is sometimes presented as 1016 ft but not something like 338 yards?


What is the reason for this?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"