adjectives - To explain or to be explained


I have searched lots of websites to understand which one is correct in this sentence:


It is too hard to (be) explain(ed).

Some people say that after some adjectives called tough adjectives you can't use the passive form of verbs. I have heard from some native speakers that It is too hard to be explained is very strange to their ears. So I search on the Internet and I found that at least 14 million people think that to be explained is correct and they actually have used it. I am sure that I am missing something here. Maybe they are used in different situations. But I couldn't find any real difference between them.


Any help is more than welcomed.


P.S: To further complicate the situation for a word like pass, when I searched it on the Internet, you can't really say "Exam was too difficult to be passed".




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"