punctuation - Using colons and semi-colons in dialogue


I've often heard writers say they don't like using colons and semi-colons in dialogue specifically and I don't often see colons and semi-colons in dialogue, but sometimes it just seems like it's by far the best option.


For example:



"I told you: John doesn't work on Mondays."



Is there any real alternative to this?



"Don't worry; I only get drunk on Sundays."



Is the semi-colon ok, or is it awkward in dialogue? Putting a full stop after Don't worry seems strange to me.



"I’ll do anything it takes: rehab, counseling, therapy, whatever I need to do.”



Is the colon ok here or is an em-dash better?



"It's an article about all the types of things you hate: the environment, animal rights, veganism, that kind of thing."



Is the colon above ok in dialogue?



"Trust me; the WASPy stuff is nothing in comparison."



Is a semi-colon appropriate above? Once again, it seems strange to me to put a full-stop.



"Those things I said—I didn't mean a word of them."



Is an em-dash appropriate here? I thought you weren't supposed to put a full clause after an em-dash if it finishes the sentence? If so, should I use something else like a colon?



"I know you; that place would haunt you."



Is there another way of doing this?


Thanks so much for any advice! Please note the question is specifically about dialogue.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"