single word requests - How can I more aptly describe acceptable laziness?


A lot of words for laziness (thesaurus: apathy, lethargy, negligence, indolence, sloth) carry some serious negative connotations. However, some forms of laziness are not necessarily that bad: for example if you have the money for it, eating out for dinner when you don't feel like cooking is not some mortal sin; it's relatively neutral. In fact in my chosen profession of programming, some forms of laziness are downright meritorious; "I quickly pasted a couple of things together that will let a computer solve this problem over the next week, rather than spending two days slaving over getting it Done Right" shows an excellent frugality-of-time.


What is a good emotive conjugation for the adjective "lazy" so that I can better deal with the "I" and "you" cases (positive, neutral) when we all know how to deal with the "he/she" case (negative)?


More examples:



"I'm going to buy a new shirt from the clothing store across the way because I spilled some tea on this one; it's [neutrally-lazy] and ideally I'd go home and change, but I have an important meeting in a few hours and I don't want to spend time stressing about being in too many different places at once."


"Yeah, those search phrases you put in the system overnight generated lots of garbage."
"Can you run it again by hand with these phrases?"
"Well, I'm trying to be [positively-lazy], so why don't I just set that client to run on Wednesdays rather than Tuesdays, and it will just run like usual tonight? It's not urgent, right?"



Ideally I would like an answer to take the form of an emotive conjugation, so that it's clear that the denotation is remaining the same (some answers like smart seem to be straying a bit from laziness per se), such as the examples "I am well-traveled; you are a sightseer; he is a tourist" or "I'm intelligent; you're intellectual; she is a smarty-pants." So I'm looking for something like "I am [positively-lazy]; you are [neutrally-lazy]; she is downright lazy."




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"