Analyzing Will Ferrell's "I Thought" joke


I'm reading Will Ferrell's Twitter where he wrote



Just thought a thought but the thought I thought wasn't the thought I thought I thought.



Does the sentence still have the same meaning if you remove the last "I thought"?


Is this grammatical word play possible with other words?


Is there a name for this other than a play on words?



Answer



The best way to understand something like this is to replace each occurrence of the repeated word with either a synonym, or something that matches its part of speech:



Just came up with an idea, but the idea I came up with wasn't the idea I believed I came up with.



As you can see, removing the last "I thought" either changes the meaning, or results in a contradiction:




  • Just came up with an idea, but the idea I came up with wasn't the idea I believed – inventing an idea you don't believe is quite different from misremembering what idea you invented.




  • Just came up with an idea, but the idea I came up with wasn't the idea I came up with – this is a contradiction, and doesn't make a lot of sense. (Well, not that the original makes a whole lot of sense, either.)




I don't know if there's an official term for this sort of phrase. Depending on the repeated word, it could be considered a tongue-twister. For the famous buffalo example mentioned by MrHen in the comments, Wikipedia just says it's "an example of how homonyms and homophones can be used to create complicated linguistic constructs."


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"