word choice - "I'm done" or "I've done"


When someone asks whether you have completed a task e.g. shopping, dinner. What should be your answer?



I am done.



or



I have done.



To me, the former sentence's formation, Sub + VBe+ Past Participle, falls to passive voice. Therefore, it has a totally different meaning from I have done Sub + Predicate (verb intransitive).


Addendum:


According to Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary 3rd ed., the verb do is an intransitive verb in the meaning of complete/finish.


In the sentence, same formation as I am done:



I am beautiful.



The verb am (of VBe) links the adj beautiful to the subject of the sentence I. Therefore I, the subject of the sentence, is beautiful (in other words, state of being).


Then in the sentence :



I am done.



The subject, I, is linked to the adjective done. So the subject's state of being is done, in other words dead?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"