punctuation - A phrase as an interjection


Often in spoken English, I see one sentence or phrase "set up" another much like an interjection. For example:



I forgot to ask. Did you find that book I told you about?



How do you generally punctuate this? I've seen a comma used for this, but I that's only correct if it can be argued that I forgot to ask is a proper interjection (can it be?).


Should I use a colon? Semi-colon? Does it matter?



Answer



You could punctuate this in a few ways, in decreasing levels of formality


With a colon (:)



I forgot to ask: did you find that book I told you about?



With a dash (–)



I forgot to ask—did you find that book I told you about?



With an ellipsis (…)



I forgot to ask…did you find that book I told you about?



The colon is the most formal, the ellipsis quite informal. I personally would use a dash. The ellipsis here is used to indicate a pause or an unfinished thought, which some purists might object to (claiming that an ellipsis can only be used to indicate something which has been left out).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"