future - in case I won't *


A very quick question:


Is it correct to say "In case I won't be able to watch that"?


If it's acceptable to say that, what type of sentence is it?


UPDATE:


As a clarification, I want to say "Can you give me that in case I won't be able to have it later". Probably, it's more a supposition than a conditional.



Answer



So you're mostly concerned about the future tense of "In case I won't be able to" as opposed to "In case I can't". My opinion is that the phrase "in case" doesn't require future tense. For instance, you'd say "I'm taking an umbrella in case it rains." - you would never say "I'm taking an umbrella in case it will rain."


This is based on my own usage of the phrase, however I did find some references: here (section on tense agreement) and here ('you can not use the simple future tense after "in case".')


I think your sentence should be "Can you give me that in case I can't have it later?"


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"