syntactic analysis - Structuring sentences without using the word "but"


I seem to have a habit of using a lot of sentences that involve the word "but": "I haven't tried it yet, but I think it should work"; "I could easily resort to chicken, but I want to see how far I can get with alligator" etc..


It's probably deeply rooted in my style of thought, but (there I go again) I'm starting to get bored of seeing myself use this structure so often. Is there anything I can do to break free?


I know one way is to use "though" or "although", as in "Although I could easily resort to chicken, I want to see...". Anything else I could do to diversify my sentences a little?



Answer



"But" expresses ideas in opposition, not why they are in opposition, and just substituting though, although, and similar words won't change that. Your sentence could be recast as



Before resorting to chicken, I want to see how far I can get with alligator



(I might end up cooking the chicken) or



Though there was chicken in the fridge, I had to try the 'gator.



(Both meats are available, and I'm ignoring the more common one.)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"