grammar - Use of 'not' in questions


When is it okay to use 'not' when posing a question? I believe that the person asking would include the 'not 'when he believes the implied to be true. For example: "Are you going to the store? "Are you not going to the store?"


Then the question of how to properly answer it. "Yes, I am going to the store" "No, I am going to the store."


and if they arent going... "No, I am not." "Yes, I am not."


I wonder if this is a French rule and therefore confusing to English speakers; where 'Si' is used instead of 'Oui'.


Anyways, your thoughts?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"