word choice - Which one is right — "He works at company X" or "in company X "?


I usually use "at a company" but I have encountered some articles using "in a company", "in XYZ firm" or "in an organization".


Which one is right?



Answer



Use:



I work in/at/for a company that makes microchips.


I work at/for Intel.


I work in/for Intel's accounting division. (in sounds more natural in this case)



There is virtually no difference in meaning, except that I would notice:




  • for tends to emphasize the relationship you have as an employee to your employer




  • in / at are more about the physical place (this is where you go to work every day)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"