is it a word - Cheersing vs cheering



I have come across the word "cheersing", with an "s", as opposed to what I believe to be the correct form: cheering.


I think it comes from a misguided verbification of the exclamation "cheers!", as in the plural of the noun "cheer".


However since there is already a corresponding verb, "to cheer", I don't see why anyone would need to force a plural noun into a progressive verbal form like "cheersing".


Besides, it's impossible to conjugate and hilarious to even try:
I cheers
you cheers
he cheerses
we cheers
you cheers
they cheers


Please tell me that cheersing is only a made up word.



Answer



It's certainly not a word that I have come across, and I believe that it is not a real word.


That said, I have once heard someone say "we were cheers'ing all night in celebration".


That is, the pseudo-word "cheersing" describes the act of saying "Cheers!".


In addition, it's use is not prevalent in literature according to Google Ngram.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

verbs - "Baby is creeping" vs. "baby is crawling" in AmE

commas - Does this sentence have too many subjunctives?

grammatical number - Use of lone apostrophe for plural?

etymology - Where does the phrase "doctored" originate?

phrases - Somebody is gonna kiss the donkey

typography - When a dagger is used to indicate a note, must it come after an asterisk?

etymology - Origin of "s--t eating grin"